Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Cool, The Good and The Disgusting!

The Cool - Hubby captured our resident heron relaxing by the lake Thursday evening.


The Good - One of our three garden spiders and the biggest by far. She's close to 3.5 inches long and her abdomen is as big as my thumb. Definitely want to give her a wide berth!!!


The Disgusting - While I was capturing the garden spiders with the camera, I smelled something dead in the front flower bed. It took me a couple of times walking through the front flower bed, but I found the source of the stench! It was a deceased (thank goodness) copperhead behind my hydrangea. While I'm very much aware of the fact that we do have snakes in our yard due to the lake, but I frightened me to know that just a couple of days before I had been working in said flower bed.

Note to self - I must be more careful when working in the yard.

1 comment:

Bo said...

Your spider is Argiope aurantia, and a fine example, it seems. I love those spiders.