Saturday, February 6, 2010

Senseless Tragedy

Yesterday afternoon there was a shooting a neighborhood middle school. I'm still trying to come to terms with how it's possible that a child has access to a weapon and a loaded one at that. I believe that it's law (at least where I live) that guns and ammunition must be stored separately in locked storage devices. This may be very naive on my part, but it seems like common sense NOT to store them together.

It is my opinion that in today's society, adults (parents/school administration) are not stepping up to the plate when it comes to disciplining their children. Ultimately, parents are responsible for making sure that their children show respect and obey the authority of other adults when not at home. I have witnessed it first hand where a child gets in trouble at school and tells the assistant principal that he/she doesn't have to listen to the AP because they are not their mom/dad. Excuse me!?! Growing up if I spoke to another adult like that I knew that not only was I in trouble at school, but I was DEFINITELY in trouble at home. Most children, today, do not have that fear of repercussions (my two do because I've told them so). The only way we're going to solve this problem is for parents and school personnel to work together when it comes to disciplining children. To let them know that there are other ways to work out their differences that don't involve violence and possibly taking another's life.

I am praying for the shooting victim's family and classmates. Prayers are also being offered to the shooter and his family. I can't begin to imagine the pain/sorrow/guilt they must be experiencing.

It's a very sad situation.

3 comments:

saintseester said...

We are struggling right now with some of the little rebellions our boy child is exhibiting against authority figures. Thankfully, he doesn't lash out in anger or anything, but we still always worry.

It was horrible driving past that school to ours, yesterday, knowing (due to all the blocked traffic and newsvans) that something terrible had happened.

azn8tive said...

I know...it's very hard to know what to do when the kids act out against authority figures. We, too, are thankful that ours don't lash out like this.

Michelle said...

This is quite a scary and concerning story. Sorry to hear that happened so close to you and that it happened at all.