Monday, January 31, 2011

Big changes are coming and...

I'm not sure that I'm completely ready for them.

You see...my husband and I are parents of a high school senior set to graduate on May 23, 2011. While I've known this time would come and have been dealing quite well with the progression of the school year, the one thing I thought I was ready for caught me by surprise.

What caught me by surprise? My reaction to my daughter receiving her acceptance letter to Jacksonville State University. I quite literally burst into tears when she opened the envelope and a JSU bumper sticker fell out. She didn't even have to read the letter...we knew that she'd been accepted. Then, she actually read the letter. C was running around the house, screaming and laughing and what am I doing??? Bawling my eyes out in the kitchen. As she's making the phone calls to Dad and all the grandparents, I'm speechless and even when I did try to speak, I burst into tears all over again. The whole time I'm thinking what's wrong with me...I should be laughing, screaming and running all over the house with my girl.

Don't get me wrong...I'm SOOOOO very excited for her and this new chapter in her life. I suppose it's a normal reaction. I just wasn't prepared for my reaction. Truthfully, I wasn't sure how I'd react. It's been a roller-coaster of emotions for me these last few days as I come to grips with the fact that my angel will be leaving home in 7 short months.

There is so much to do between now and then that I don't really know where to begin.

Suppose it's time to start my lists.

Bear with me these next several months as I document my family's adventures in preparing my eldest child for college.

Big changes are coming...

And I'm going to do my best to adapt to/with them.

No comments: