Thursday, May 22, 2008

Respect

In this instance, it's respect for other's property.

I was raised that it was rude and disrespectful to cut through another person's yard to get to one's destination. That's what sidewalks are for, right?! I have taught my children to respect other people's property, regardless of what their friends are doing.

Well...today, I happened to be stepping out onto our back patio when I see two young, black men cutting across my backyard. I, politely, told them that this was private property (it is posted) and they were trespassing. One of the young men was polite and left the backyard. However, the other one proceded to curse me out (calling me a F***ing B****, among other things). I told him that the only area that was common grounds is over by the clubhouse/pool and the rest of the property backing up to the lake is PRIVATE. If the developer had wanted the area around the lake to be common property, he would have put in a walking path - he didn't.

Anyway, the young man continued to argue with me, stating that he was an adult and that he lived in the community. I told him that it was posted private property and that he should know better...you know, being an adult and all. He did leave and mosey over to the clubhouse/pool area, cursing me the whole time. I watched him walk all the way around and then called the sheriff's department to find out what exactly I could do. I was told that because it's posted private property and they are trespassing I could call them; however, the trespassers must still be on the property when the deputy arrives for a ticket to be written for trespassing. Good luck with that - it's a good thing that I carry my cell phone with me all the time.

I really hate being the bad guy and I'm wondering if I should've even confronted them. I hope that I've made my point and won't have to resort to calling the sheriff's department. If not, then they can deal with it.

No comments: