Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mmmmm...

Now that fall is officially here, I begin to cook more meals. I don't know what it is about this time of year (and it continues on til late spring), but I feel that I need to provide my family with complete hot, sit-down dinners at least 4-5 times a week. So, last weekend I made one of their favorites - crock-pot roast & veggies and spoonbread - and I thought that I'd share my recipe with you. It's really easy.

I use a 6-qt crockpot with low/high/warm settings. My crockpot has a knob that you switch between the heating temperatures. I found that the electronic ones either got too hot or not hot enough.

Crockpot Roast & Veggies
(courtesy of my mom)

4-5 pound sirloin-tip roast, frozen
1 can Campbell's French Onion
1 can Campbell's Beefy Mushroom Soup
1 large whole onion, skin removed
water (just put some water into each of the soup cans to get all of the good stuff)
4 cups potatoes, cut into bite-size chunks
4 cups carrots, cut into bite-size chunks

Early in the day (I put it on around 10am), put the 1st five ingredients into the crockpot, set on high. Let cook 5 hours and then add the potatoes & carrots. Cook for another 2-3 hours on high, or until the potatoes are done to your liking. Take some of the liquid from the crockpot to make gravy.

About an hour before the roast & veggies are done, make your spoonbread.

Southern Spoonbread
(courtesy of my mother-in-law)

3/4 cup cornmeal (I use self-rising cornmeal.)
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup boiling water
2 eggs, well beaten
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk

Combine cornmeal, salt and oil. Stir in boiling water slowly and beat until smooth. Add baking powder to beaten eggs, and combine with milk; add to cornmeal mixture stirring well. It doesn't matter if the batter is lumpy. Turn into greased casserole dish (I use an 8x8 baking dish.) Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes.

I hope that you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.

P.S. I had never heard of spoonbread until I got married and moved to the South. It's really good!

2 comments:

Dejoni said...

Sounds good! I, too, cook more in the fall and winter.
The new picture on your blog is beautiful!!!

azn8tive said...

Thanks, Dejoni! I thought I'd switch it up for fall.