Saturday, April 26, 2008

Doing Something for Myself

While reading one of my favorite blogs, Saintseester Says, she had written about taking time for herself and linked to Sisters of a Different Order. I was really moved by what both SS and SOADO had written. It made me stop and think about what I do just for myself.

Some days are overwhelming for me or I just blow things out of proportion. I find it hard to let go and let those around me do for themselves. Part of me does it because it's just easier to do it myself; but the other part does it because I feel that if I don't, I'm failing at my duties as wife and mother. My husband is wonderful. He takes great care of me and will step up to cook dinner when I don't feel up to it or see to the needs of our children.

Here is a typical weekday for me:

*Scare myself half to death when the alarm goes off at 5:30a. I don't know why but this always startles me.
*Shower, dress, wake the children, have breakfast, pack lunch, finish makeup/dry hair - all in time to leave the house by 6:45a.
*Drop eldest at high school, run youngest to middle school and get myself to work at the elementary school by 7:10a. Thankfully, all three schools are on the same street.
*Meet/greet parents and students, answer phones and countless other tasks before leaving at 2:40p to pickup the kids from school.
*On any given day, we could have errands to run or appointments to get to after school.
*Head home to work in the yard/house, fix dinner, do laundry and then relax before heading to bed.

I do, however, every 2-3 weeks treat myself and my daughter to a manicure. I make sure that I have time to spend with Hubby because he is my best friend. There are days that I don't know what I'd do without him.

To many people, my life is quite simple. I admit that I don't have a lot of worries - other than making sure that my children grow up to be respectable, loving, giving adults and making/keeping my marriage strong!

What am I doing right now to take care of myself? I'm going to get a glass of wine and join my husband on the patio to watch the sunset. At the end of the school year, I'm going to treat myself to a facial and massage. In the near future, I would like for me and my husband to get away for a weekend - just the two of us. We usually have an entire week during the summer to ourselves due to the kids being with grandparents, but that won't be happening this summer. I'm looking forward to having the kids to myself all summer. What are you doing just for yourself?

2 comments:

saintseester said...

I love the mother / daughter manicure. What a nice "girly" tradition! I'm doing that when mine is old enough. Love to spoil myself - wish I could do it more often.

azn8tive said...

It took me awhile to convince her that having pretty hands & feet are a good thing. Now, she asks to have pedicures and is reminding me of when it's time to get our nails done. Just have to work on the hair. It's much to easy for her to pull it back in a ponytail. I should be thankful she hasn't gotten into fixing her hair b/c we'd never get out of the house in the mornings.