Friday, July 27, 2007

Summer's over?!?!

Okay...what happened to my summer vacation? I have to go back to work on Monday. :( My kids' first day of school is August 2nd.

Getting on soapbox.

My children and I have had many discussions regarding the length of summer vacation. We all agreed that we'd like to start around Labor Day and get out in early June (the pools are too cold in the middle of May). As it stands right now, our school year runs August 2, 2007 through May 20, 2008 this includes a week off in October & March, 4 individual days off scattered throughout the school year, 3 days off at Thanksgiving, and 18 days off at Christmas. Maybe my memory is failing me, but I seem to remember having only a couple of days off at Thanksgiving, 10 days at Christmas and Spring Break in March.

Several years ago, the powers that be in the school system decided it would be a great idea to have a one week break in early October. Umm...this is a stupid idea!!! The kids are wild the week before and after the break, therefore losing two weeks of valuable teaching time. Not to mention, those parents who have to make arrangements for childcare during that week (not everyone has family close by to help out). It's a nightmare. At one point, the county schools had 2 weeks off both in early October and late March. Thank goodness they quit doing that. I understand that everyone gets burned out from time to time. But for heaven's sake - they don't need to have a week off right after the start of the school year.

I would like to see the school calendars go back to the Labor Day start and early June ending. However, I think that the school systems are setting up to go to year-round school calendars. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Getting off soapbox now.

3 comments:

saintseester said...

While I do think I'd rather see the school year start in sept and go into june, I still love the fact that we have fall break. At least we can travel and enjoy my favorite season of the year.

azn8tive said...

I wonder if there's a way to work in a fall break if we started school the week before Labor Day.

Fall is my fav season, too. Followed closely by Spring.

saintseester said...

Probably not, but you could just add a 0 ouple of days at Thanksgiving and have the whole week there.