Thursday, August 2, 2007

1st Day Back

Today was the 1st day of school for the county schools where I live. This school year will be very different from last. The biggest difference is that the school where I work is half the size it was last year. We went from 1250 students (this is an elementary school) to approximately 600. What a difference!

At several points during the day, I found myself listening to the silence. It was really nice! I may just get spoiled this year. The phone wasn't ringing off the hook and very few parents came in today - that may have something to do with the fact that parents were rejoicing in their new found freedom. We did have an issue with between joint custodial parents this morning. Hopefully, it will be resolved tomorrow. Let's hope that it stays this calm.

Now that I have a year's experience under my belt, I'm planning to make some changes that I believe will make the front office run smoother. I hope to convince my principal that they will work. Keep your fingers crossed.

My kids had a GREAT first day of school, too. D is a freshman at the high school and was thrilled that she has Art (Drawing) this 1st semester. Since the high school is on the block schedule, she'll only have 4 classes this term - 2 core & 2 electives - and she got them in the order that she wanted them (English/Drawing/Algebra 1/Computer). S is a 7th grader and came home to announce that he has many classes with several friends. Last year, he didn't have any of his friends from 5th grade in any of his classes. So, he was ecstatic. I think that they'll both have a great year!

If you have children heading back to school this fall, I hope that they have a great year, too.

No comments: