Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Daughters and Shopping....

Now I know how my mom must've of felt when we'd go dress shopping! Although, I used to enjoy shopping, a lot! But the daughter does not. Anyway, the daughter and I went dress shopping for 8th grade graduation this afternoon. What an experience that was!

First of all, there is the "dress code" for the school we must adhere to - dress straps must be 3 fingers wide, the dress must be white, etc. It was nearly impossible to find a white dress that DIDN'T have spaghetti straps or that was not too dressy (or too old - as D put it - 'I don't want to look like a mom'). Why they made the rule that the dresses had to be white is beyond me - the school is not a private school, where I can understand having such a rule.

Second, finding a dress that both of us could agree on. We went everywhere! There were lots of pretty dresses, but none of them white (or a close facsimile there of). We found one at NY & Co. It's an A-line, very sensible and we could embellish it if she wanted to. She didn't dig it - but being the stressed-out mom that I am, put the dress on hold - just in case...'cuz y'all know if I don't do that, her size is going to be gone when we go back to get it. Went to a couple more shops - nothing jumped out at us - well, me anyway. She found lots of prom-style dresses, but they're just not appropriate for 8th grade graduation. D did say that we'll have lots of fun shopping for prom dresses when the time comes. Yeah, right!?! We did go back and purchase said dress at NY&C. Just in case.

As a last resort, we went by JCP. Wouldn't you know it...there was her dress. It's off-white with black embellishments on the straps (which are 3 fingers wide), at the waist and around the hem. And...she LOVES it. The best part of it is...she already has black strappy sandals to wear with it!!!!! Shoe shopping with D is even worse, but that's for another time. Now, that we've got that done we can sit back and relax. That is until she starts high school in the fall...

All in all, it was a successful outing. And we rewarded ourselves with a trip to our favorite coffee shop for a cinnamon dolce frappuccino (light, of course). Yum!!!

2 comments:

saintseester said...

White dresses have to be difficult to find.

I can't even begin to describe how delightfully horrid my 8th grade grad dress was. 1977. We could wear long formals. I had to have the one with the sheer "winged" sleeves. In taupe, with a huge floral print head to toe. I don't even think there is a photo of that.

azn8tive said...

Yes, they are! We went everywhere. Saw lots of nice dresses that were prints on a white background, but wasn't sure if those would be okay. The one she picked is very nice - considering that she probably won't wear it again. She prefers jeans and t-shirts. That's my girl! :)