Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Another Teacher in Space

Tonight, Space Shuttle Endeavor had a successful launch with another teacher-astronaut, Barbara Morgan, on-board. Like most Americans my age, I remember the last time that a teacher went into space. For our generation, it's akin to the Kennedy assassination. Unfortunately, Christa McAuliffe and the crew of Challenger had their mission cut short - just 73 seconds after launch. To this day, I still hold my breath until the 73 second mark has been passed. It still brings tears to my eyes to think that 7 astronauts lost their lives for the exploration of Space. But they understood the risks when they signed up for the astronaut program.

For the past 17 years, I have been a part of the Space program - having worked at MSFC and through my husband who works on the ISS program. There is a thrill of watching each launch. My hubby and I had the opportunity to participate in a night launch of Space Shuttle Endeavor. It was carrying the 1st U.S. built piece of the International Space Station. Now, that was a once in a lifetime experience. To know that my husband has physically worked in/on each U.S.-built piece of the International Space Station is really special. I'm very proud of the work that my husband does. I know that many do not believe in what we're doing, but I firmly believe that we need to continue to explore the universe around us.

Let's pray that this is a successful mission and that they all come home safely.

No comments: