Sunday, August 19, 2007

Field peas & Tomato sandwiches

That's what we're having for lunch. And, yes, my children love them. My dad would be so proud. Growing up, he always told my brother and me about some of the things he used to eat. Fried okra, fried green tomatoes, peas (black-eyed, field, etc.) and tomato sandwiches, just to name a few. Well, I never really appreciated those things until I moved to the South with my husband, who by the way was born and raised in the South. I was a whiz at making tacos, chimichangas and my mom's famous Mexican Meat Mix, but I was a newbie at Southern cooking. Always willing to try my hand at something new, I asked my MIL how to cook these Southern staples. I believe that I've mastered them and look forward to making such dishes, with the exception of the fried green tomatoes. Just haven't developed a taste for them after all these years.

Now, where's that okra...

P.S. Hubby loves my slow-cooked roast & spoonbread.

4 comments:

saintseester said...

I've lived down here my entire life, and I can only stomach okra when it is cooked to death in gumbo. Lurves me some field peas, though.

Bo said...

Can take or leave okra anyplace. Will eat it steamed; will eat it fried; will eat it in gumbo. Will have limited enthusiasm about it in any of these cases.

Could eat a gigantic bowl of field peas for a meal.

Miss real tomatoes. I've almost blogged about tomatoes several times, concentrating on the fact that any you buy in the grocery store look like tomatoes, but they don't ever taste anything like them. Grow them in your backyard and taste the difference. Lea did this year, and it was amazing having real ones all summer.

azn8tive said...

Garden fresh tomatoes are the best. However, our crop this year didn't do well 'cuz of the excessive heat and very little rain.

saintseester said...

don't like tomatoes