Tuesday, August 28, 2007

High School

Maybe I was just really naive, but I don't remember having school go into lockdown. Sure...we had our share of fights, drug busts, etc. But bomb threats?! I don't ever recall hearing about that.

Where am I going with this, you ask?! Since school started back on August 2nd, the high school where my daughter will attend next year (she is a freshman @ the 9th grade school across the street) has had 4 bomb threats. 4!!!! WTF is going on?! This makes me VERY uneasy about sending her there. Yesterday, there was another bomb threat and while the students were returning to the building a big fight broke out resulting in several students being maced and arrested. I heard through the grapevine today...we all know how reliable that is...that the bomb threats were being called in from an inside line at the 9th grade school. As far as I know, there are no payphones in the school. So my question is, where is this female (yes, female) student making these calls from and how is she able to utilize the phones without being questioned or noticed? Excuse me, but aren't bomb threats considered a felony?!

Something has got to be done! Whether it's more security or bringing in administration that will take NO shit from anyone...students and parents alike. From everything I've seen and heard, the administration isn't taking any action other than increasing the number of security officers on the premises. I could be wrong because I don't have all the information in front of me, but it sure seems like the administration NEEDS to be taking these events very seriously and they're NOT.

School (and it's administration) needs to provide a safe environment that perpetuates learning! Right now, it's not instilling any confidence in it's ability to do so.

1 comment:

saintseester said...

I remember several bomb threats from when I was a kid. They were all crackpots of course, but had to be taken seriously.

One time at my high school, a threat was made. They knew it was a student, just not who. They said if the perps didn't come forward, the entire school would have detention every day until they did. They notified the parents (the glory of private school). About 2 days in, someone ratted the kid out. LOL.

And yes, bomb threats are a felony.